Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Ellyn's Speech about Siblings

Ellyn found this speech written in an old notebook. She read it out loud to us today. I think I'll save it forever.

I want to post it in honor of sibling-love for this week of Valentine's Day.

written by Ellyn a few years ago:

I can honestly say that I don't know what I would do without my brothers and sister in my life. They are my best friends, entertainment, biggest cheerleaders, partners in crime, and they have shaped me into the person I am today. Although this comes somewhat naturally because we share the same blood, my siblings are people that I have had to learn to truly appreciate and embrace. My heart breaks for kids that don't have siblings, or maybe those who just haven't learned the true meaning of a brother yet. But I believe that the key to this is having a grateful and loving heart for all that siblings provide us with.

One of the biggest things that siblings provide us with is a relationship and friendship. With multiple kids in the family there is always someone to talk to whether you want them there or not! They are a wonderful source of entertainment. A younger sibling's first steps, the fighting that occurs between two brothers, the jokes that a sister cracks. What would you do without those moments and memories?!
A sibling can be your friend-for-life because the relationship is not easy to escape.

Having siblings provides a person with so many different opportunities. The only way you can have nieces or nephews is through a sibling, and the only way you can be a bridesmaid at your sister's wedding is if you have a sister! Siblings also give you lots of activities to go to and be their biggest fan. I can't even describe the moments at state track when my brother crossed the finish line, being able to say "ahh, that's my big brother!" Or going to my little sister's softball game or my younger brother's 5K race. Besides these heartfelt moments, siblings can sometimes share clothes or go in on a gift for your parents. They allow you to do and experience things that would be impossible without them!

I often like to refer to my family and siblings as "my team." Just like a team, everyone has different strengths and roles that help them to com out on top. An effective team supports one another no matter what, and without relationships like that, a good team often becomes unsuccessful. Teammates learn from each other and make each other better people. Siblings can be just like a teammate! They teach us how to solve problems and differences because we can't easily run from them. Through siblings, you learn how to share and be generous and tolerant and selfless.

Siblings know you better than almost anyone, and because of that, they are the perfect advice-givers. They see your flaws and call you out on them. When you so something well, they react and make you want to be even better! I believe that all families have the ability to work as a team, you just have to be grateful for each other.

Many of you may be thinking, "well yeah, but siblings are so annoying!" This may be true, but so are you. If you show a thankful heart to your siblings, they're bound to show one in return. There is no bond deeper than a brother, if we choose to appreciate each other.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing touching speech on siblings, too bad not many have them

    ReplyDelete
  2. true i have 7 siblings it amazing but sometimes really hard

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really heart touching and soulful 😇😇

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it thats. i am doing a speech about what are siblings for? and this helpt a bit and gave me some ideas

    ReplyDelete