Monday, November 29, 2010

Kitchen Island

We knew when we designed our kitchen that we would want a small island or table in the middle. I wanted to shop around a bit, since I was pretty sure I didn't want the island/table to match the cabinets and countertops around the perimeter of the kitchen. I wanted the look of an antique table and was hoping to find something to purchase that was just the right look. I also wanted something portable, because I know of kitchen islands that are in the way sometimes.

At some point in our remodel process, we were forced to have our dining table in the middle of the kitchen. I quickly realized that a standard-height table makes a poor work surface. It is too low to work at standing up.

I met with our kitchen coordinator and ordered a small island in the style of a table, in quarter-sawn oak. It is the same height as the cabinets, so it is a very comfortable work surface.  I paid extra for them to distress it, so that it would look old -- Why does that always seem backwards?

The island was delivered last week, just in time for Thanksgiving food preparation. I decided on soapstone for the countertop and bought a remnant since it just needed a small piece.

The island has been a great addition to the kitchen and we use it constantly. The soapstone gets oiled with mineral oil--more frequently in the beginning. I love the look and function!

1 comment: