Monday, August 9, 2010

Remodel/addition update weeks 12-14

 Things are moving along with our addition, although not nearly as quickly as we would like! We are basically done tearing things out (still some wood floor left to remove), which means we've turned a corner. Now most of the time is spent building the new. The house is the most torn up that it has been during this whole process. We are trying to be patient!
week 12-13: demolition of walls, new walls framed; all light switches, electrical outlets, canned lights installed
tearing out my old kitchen--it used to be blue...then red

week 14: Foam insulation finished in new family room, fireplace installed, heating/cooling finished, deck built, ready to begin drywall

new family room:


new piano room:



new dining room:

We have no furniture in the main living area now. When you walk in the door, you have to go downstairs to have a place to sit down. Our table is squeezed into the kitchen, so we don't all sit down around it. I am pretty sure that it will be about a week until we can get it back into a normal location. We will still have plywood floors, but at least then we will be able sit down at the table to eat as a family.

My new kitchen is fully functioning, except it has no flooring or under cabinet lighting. I love the abundant cabinet storage and counter space. I am still planning to add a small island, but I haven't decided what I want yet.
I love my new appliances and how they function; I hate the stainless steel and how dirty or smeared it looks almost all the time. I am still learning how to clean it and have been surprised that spraying and wiping don't seem to be enough! I do think the stainless appliances look nice with my cream cabinets (when they are clean!).

























I LOVE the Electrolux duel fuel/double oven range. The two ovens are electric (each controlled separately) and the cook top is gas. It is an amazing work horse! One night I baked salmon, asparagus, and two pans of brownies in less than an hour. I have not had any trouble transitioning from electric to gas for the cook top. It has been a pleasure to use my iron skillets again!


1 comment:

  1. WD40 for your stainless steel appliances, works like a charm every time. It gets them super shiny. A little goes a long way too!

    ReplyDelete