Friday, August 6, 2010

My baby is going bye-bye...

my baby grand piano, that is.

When I was 16, I used the money I had saved for a car to buy a baby grand piano. I found this piano in a music store in Independence, Missouri. I loved the stained wood and the unique double legs. It looked like an antique, which I preferred over a glossy, black, modern look. It had been owned by a little old lady, and I knew I would likely never see another one like it.

I used it to teach piano lessons through high school, college, and after I quit teaching and became a stay-at-home mom. It has been moved from my parents' home in northern Missouri to our tiny apartment on the campus of Iowa State University, then to an old farm house we rented, next to our first home purchased in Ames, and finally to this house in Huxley. Sometimes we moved it ourselves, but as we got smarter and had a little more money to spare, we hired someone to move it.

Due to our remodeling project, the piano needed a safer place to stay for a few weeks. Some very nice men came to get it today. They treated it very carefully and had all the right equipment to move it appropriately. It will stay in an air conditioned office until it is safe to come back home. I was so sad to see it go.

Dear piano... we will miss you. When you come back home, we will dust you and tune you and tickle your ivory keys. I hope the time that you are away from us goes very quickly. Our home won't be the same without your beautiful music.

1 comment:

  1. That's a neat story. As you told it I found myself worried that you were giving it away forever. I kept thinking "don't do it!" So I was very relieved that it was temporary. What a great piece of history for you!

    ReplyDelete