Tuesday, December 27, 2011

After Christmas

Christmas is wonderful--one of my greatest joys in this life. I love to spend time with family, hang greenery and decorations, do extra baking, make homemade gifts, listen to beautiful Christmas music, and plan ways to offer gifts to the needy in my community. All these things bring richness to my life, but I sometimes find that they fail to satisfy my hungry soul. My soul longs for Jesus. He is the One who can satisfy. So I read books, listen to music, and open scripture to help me anticipate the coming of a Baby--the Savior of the world. What a gift He was for mankind! What joy Christ brings to my Christmas!

Unfortunately, most of us experience the other side of Christmas as well. The days after Christmas can bring gifts that don't fit, time spent with family that caused hurt or disappointment, exhaustion due to the busy season, more shopping for returns and exchanges, the list goes on and on.

In these days after Christmas, my mind keeps returning to the same thought: I am so grateful for what Jesus offers us AFTER Christmas. He didn't stay a baby in a manger. He became a man--a man with a purpose.  His purpose to redeem us changed my life forever. He loves us more than I can comprehend. He is life and light, hope and peace to me. During these days after Christmas, I hope you can join me in receiving a gift that doesn't end with Christmas. Thank you, Jesus, for the gift you brought us as a man. The promise of heaven to those who know You, and the hope You bring to each day is what truly satisfies the soul.
May the God of hope
fill you with all joy and peace
as you trust in Him,
so that you may
overflow with hope
by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 15:13 

1 comment: