Monday, January 28, 2013

Streusel Coffee Cake DIY Mix

While my family spent their days on skis flying down the sides of mountains last week, I led a tamer life back at the lodge. For months, I have been planning  to make a collection of my breakfast recipes like my favorite supper recipes on a ring that I made last winter. I took the breakfast recipe project along to Colorado.

In the process of re-copying some of my favorite breakfast recipes, I came across this coffe cake mix recipe that looked great, but never got baked in my kitchen. :(
I recently held "test kitchen" week for a few of the breakfast recipes, and the coffee cake passed with flying colors. Keep in mind it is a DIY mix. I copied it from Quick Cooking July/August 1998. (yeah, I was pregnant with my 8th grade son that summer)

Streusel Coffee Cake Mix
cake mix:
4 1/2 c. flour
2 1/4 c. sugar
2 T. baking powder
1 1/2 t. salt

streusel topping:
3/4 c. brown sugar
3 T. flour
1 T. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 1/2 c. chopped nuts
(I didn't have nuts, and added more brown sugar and flour.)

to make the coffee cake:
2 c. cake mix
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. oil
Mix and pour into 9x9 inch pan.
Mix 3/4 c. streusel with 1 T. melted butter and sprinkle over cake.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

I like to keep mixes like these in large plastic canisters/containers, which makes it easy to scoop out the mix. I often label the front with a sticky note that includes the ingredients, so that I don't even need to get out the recipe. You could also store it in pre-measured ziploc baggies.
This recipe makes three 9x9 pans, with some mix leftover (annoying--I'll probably try to add some ingredients to get it to come out to an even 4 pans next time).

This coffee cake goes well with these fruit smoothies. Just ask my kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment