Tuesday, November 20, 2012

For the Love of Bread

Are you gathering your Thanksgiving dinner recipes? Don't forget the bread!

My recipes are easier to gather since I made my Thanksgiving dinner recipe book a couple of years ago.

My two favorite bread recipes would be perfect (and easy!) for your Thanksgiving dinner.
 One is old (one of my mom's favorites) and one is new (added to my recipe book last week).

Mom's No-knead Refrigerator Rolls
*allow minimum of 2 hrs 15 min before serving

In a large bowl stir together until dissolved:
2 pkgs. dry yeast
2 c. warm water

Add and stir into yeast mixture:
1/2 c. sugar
2 t. salt
3-4 c. flour

Add and stir into flour mixture:
1 egg
1/4 c. oil

Stir in 2-3 c. more flour. Dough should be slightly sticky.

Form the rolls 2 hours before baking.
Cover with a towel and let rise till double (approx. 1 hr. 45 min.)
Bake 12 minutes at 400 degrees. Makes 48 rolls.

This dough can be made a day ahead and refrigerated until ready to use. Cover the bowl with a towel and punch down the dough when necessary.  I mix it in the bowl I want to store in the refrigerator. Take it out and shape the rolls whenever you're ready. I have used this dough for cinnamon rolls and crescent rolls, but I usually cut it into equal pieces with a pair of scissors and make rows in a cake pan with the balls of dough.




============

This honey wheat bread is from one of my favorite bloggers, Edie at Life in Grace. The first time I made it, I made another batch later the same day! Edie posted a video and very thorough directions for making the bread. She explains it in a way that is very easy to understand if you've never made bread before.

Honey Wheat Bread --makes 2 loaves
* allow minimum of 2.5 hrs before serving 
In Kitchen Aid mixer:
2 c. warm water
 1/3 c. oil
1/3 c. honey (make it easy--use the oil measuring cup) 
start mixer on low and add:
1 T. yeast
1 t. salt
2 c. whole wheat flour 

When the above are mixed together, start adding all purpose flour until dough pulls away from sides of bowl and does not stick to fingers when touched:
approx 5 c. all purpose flour  

Knead for 5-10 minutes (I am going to try kneading in my Kitchen Aid next time, but Edie kneads by hand). Oil the mixing bowl and put dough back in, cover and let rise 45-60 min. until double. Shape into two loaves and place in greased bread pans. (I use metal Nordic loaf pans.)
Cover and let rise another 45-60 min. until dough is at top of pans. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. This bread slices better if allowed to cool completely. It is still soft the next day when stored in plastic bags.

I am serving both breads this week. I will make the dough for the rolls the day before but shape/bake them on Thanksgiving. The honey wheat bread is perfect to bake the day before, cool and store in ziploc baggies until ready to slice and serve for the big meal!

If your family is like mine, there will be no bread left over. Enjoy these easy and delicious recipes!


No comments:

Post a Comment