Saturday, March 13, 2010

More Muffins

I have three favorite muffin recipes.  The first two recipes I've shared already--pumpkin muffins and banana oatmeal muffins.

This is the remaining favorite muffin, and the one I've been making the longest.  I started making this recipe when Byron and I were first married, almost 24 years ago.  We lived in married housing at Iowa State University and baked them for breakfast every morning before heading out to class. It is really convenient, because you can leave the batter in the refrigerator for a long time. It makes a big batch, 4 dozen according to the recipe.  I usually get 3 1/2 dozen; I think I make them too large. 

I know these are not very healthy bran muffins.  I have done some adjustments to try to make them healthier, but I usually just make the recipe as I have for years.  (To make them healthier:  use 1/2 c. oil and 1/2+ c. applesauce, substitute wheat flour for half of the flour, and cut the sugar back to 2 1/2 c.)

Refrigerator Bran Muffins


1 c. Crisco or oil
3 c. sugar
4 eggs, well beaten
1 qt. buttermilk
5 c. flour
5 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
15 oz. pkg. bran cereal


topping:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon


Cream oil, sugar, eggs and buttermilk.  Add dry ingredients and mix until moistened.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.  Sprinkle with topping.  Bake 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees.  Batter can be stored in refrigerator up to 6 weeks. Makes 4 dozen muffins.

Just remember to buy the buttermilk and bran flakes when you go to the grocery store.  For as many years as I've been making the muffins, these are two things I often forget to add to my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment