Monday, February 15, 2010

Pancakes - good and bad, a house divided

Yesterday for Valentine's Day, I made my family pancakes for breakfast.

Because I was being a really good mom, I even made some heart shaped, which made them taste so much better than the plain round ones.  I also added mini chocolate chips to some of them, so that they would taste even better.  (I prefer no chocolate chips, personally.)


I was doing my best to generate interest in eating these pancakes, because these were BAD pancakes, not GOOD pancakes.  And my three youngest kids beg me to make GOOD pancakes all the time. My husband, oldest son, and I think BAD pancakes are to die for--they are so yummy!  The two guys beg me for BAD pancakes all the time.

Confused yet?  I think I am.

See... it's like this... at our house we have good pancakes (as in "taste-good-made-with-white-flour-pancakes") and we have bad pancakes (as in "good-for-you-made-with-oatmeal-pancakes").

So yesterday I said, "My kitchen is not a restaurant--I am not taking orders for breakfast. Today it's going to be bad pancakes." Which is what I wanted for breakfast, because they really are delicious (unless you're a punk kid who doesn't want oatmeal in your pancakes).

Everyone ate them up, despite the divided opinions about which kind to make, because just like Woody the elf says, everything tastes great with maple syrup.

So make both kinds for your family and decide for yourself.  I love both recipes.

Hearty Oatmeal Pancakes 
2 c. oats
2 c. buttermilk (or milk plus 2 T. vinegar)
2 eggs
1/4 c. oil


1/2 c. flour
2 T. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. salt


Feather Light Pancakes
2 c. flour
1 t. salt
4 T. baking powder
4 T. sugar
2 eggs
4 T. oil
2 c. milk

No comments:

Post a Comment