Monday, February 1, 2010

January RoundUp

The following is a "roundup" of January memories.


What books and/or magazines did I read this month?
On our trip to Colorado, I read two books:  "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle and "Each Little Bird that Sings" by Deborah Wiles.  I started "Pride and Prejudice" but didn't make it very far.
My Bible study mom's group is reading "Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God" by Francis Chan.  I have only read two chapters and I LOVE it.

What movies, television shows, plays, etc. did I watch this month?
For a family movie night we rented "Paul Blart Mall Cop" and "Julie and Julia".  I really enjoyed each of them.
In Colorado, the older two kids and I went to a show by The Punch Brothers and Chris Thile--which was AMAZING. I think I was smiling for the entire show.  We never expected to get to see Chris Thile, so having the opportunity to go in Colorado was a real treat and surprise.

What fun things did I do with family and/or friends?
Ellyn's Bible study girls came over for a stamping/scrapbooking night.
The family ski trip to Colorado is a highlight for January.  It was our fourth time to go and we always have a great time.
We went to the Iowa State Universtiyy women's basketball game against KU.
Byron and I chaperoned the winter formal dance that our two teenagers were attending.  It was fun to see all the kids in their dressy clothes.  We chaperoned with two other couples that we like to hang out with, so it was a fun evening for us too.

What gifts did I give and/or receive?
My niece's birthday is in January.  We gave her a bag made by sewing empty Kool-aid pouches together.  Meggan did almost all the sewing, and I was really proud of her.

What special or unusual purchases did I make?
This month I took a five-year-old pair of leather boots that I never wear anymore to a shoe repair shop.  I had the tops cut off to make them into low boots, so that I would like them more.  It cost $12, which is a steal compared to buying a new pair.  I also had a pair of shoes dyed chocolate brown, which sort of felt like getting a new pair of shoes.  I was tired of the old color.

What illnesses or health concerns did I have?
I just had a spot cut off of my arm and sent in for a biopsy.  It looked exactly like the spot of skin cancer that I had removed in 2006.  I haven't gotten word yet from the lab.

What were my accomplishments this month?
I re-did a wall of family pictures in my family room downstairs--I like looking at the updated pics of family members.
I learned how to post my Picasa web albums to my blog.
I learned how to make a blog header using my own pictures,
While we were in Colorado, I made a new mini scrapbook of current pictures of the family.
Meggan and I deep cleaned her bedroom. Yay! We cleared out a lot of junk and toys.  She wants a bedroom makeover for her birthday in June.
I finally got around to sewing some new camera strap covers.

What were my disappointments this month?
Although I love snow days and having everyone home from work and school.  I am disappointed that the kids currently have 5 days to add on to the end of the school year.  The snow storms/blizzards made January a slower and more relaxed month than some, since so many events were cancelled and we just stayed home more.  I enjoyed this aspect very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment