Monday, March 7, 2011

Family Journal

Last week I was sorting through a pile of papers and pictures to scrapbook. It was a deep pile. :(

At the bottom of the pile, I found this little treasure:

In an attempt to get my older two kids to write more, during the summer of 2001, I started this journal. They were seven and nine. My younger two kids were 12 months old and 20 months old, so they weren't involved.

The first page entry was written by me:
 "Dear family, when you find this journal, write an entry and pass it on to another family member. You may put it in hidden place to be discovered by the next family member, like in their laundry basket or under their covers."
Each family member only made about 3 entries, but reading the words written so long ago was like discovering treasure. I laughed when I saw Brandon's first entry. He obviously wasn't that interested in the written word and probably wished he could put the journal in a hidden place to NEVER be discovered again. He's like his dad and likes to write numbers:

Ellyn loved writing, so it was fun for her. I love her creative spelling.

The journal got hidden in Byron's suitcase when he went on a business trip, so one of his entries was written from another city.

This journal didn't get used much, but I am so glad to have found it again. It captures a moment in time that would have easily been forgotten.

1 comment: