Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Holiday Progressive Supper -- Inspired by Pioneer Woman Cooks

After getting my new Pioneer Woman cookbook, I decided to use her recipes for a Christmas progressive supper.   Four families (we had 17 people) gathered on a December Sunday evening for appetizers, salad, main course, and dessert.  An evening of fellowship with friends over a delicious meal is one of my favorite holiday traditions.  Traveling to three other homes and enjoying their Christmas decorations and warm hospitality made it even more fun.



We started with appetizers at the Leland's. They made onion strings, and everyone ate them up before I got a picture--they were delicious.








Next, we went to Wheeler's for salad.  Ree doesn't include much for salad in the cookbook.  I'm pretty sure it's because salad and butter don't go that well together.  PW REALLY likes butter...a lot.   Roger and Lisa made a Ceasar and a garden salad, and they were both yummy.





The main course was at my house.  I made her meatballs, plus corn casserole and glazed carrots (which are not in the cookbook).  I had such a difficult time choosing the main course, because her recipes are all so appealing.






By the time we left my house it was snowing! We went to Zimmerman's for red velvet cake.  It was so beautiful for Christmas. It was the perfect finish for our evening.

We had a great time traveling around town to each other's houses.  Thanks to my friends for joining the fun.


And about the cookbook--
I can't recommend it highly enough!  It is so much more than a cookbook.  It's almost like a scrapbook, with tons of photography (by Pioneer Woman and Marlboro Man) and stories from the ranch.
Go buy one right now!  

 (You won't regret it.  Buy two... because you are going to want to give one to someone as a Christmas gift.)

No comments:

Post a Comment